Each year my family makes a variety of Christmas desserts that are usually devoured within 48 hours of completion; this includes a very famous marshmallow log & chocolate hedgehog Christmas tree. Inspired by both, I created a clean Christmas Hedgehog Slice that would be devoured just as quickly as the sugary kind, and it was a big success!
Guilt free thick chocolate mixed with almonds and walnuts for a biscuit texture, covered in coconut sounds so appealing and tastes even better. This festive recipe is now a new favourite I will be making all year round that’s for sure!
½ cup of cacao butter (melted)
3 tbls coconut oil (melted)
1 cup rice malt syrup
2 tsp vanilla bean syrup
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup of cacao powder
1 cup of desiccated coconut
1 cup of walnuts
3/4 cup roasted almonds
Extra 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- In a large tray, spread almonds evenly and pop in the oven for 20 minutes on 180°C to roast (alternatively you can buy them roasted)
- Blend cacao butter, coconut oil, rice malt syrup, vanilla bean essence, pinch of salt and cacao until smooth and creamy and set aside
- Process walnuts until fine and add desiccated coconut. Once the walnuts and coconut are combined, place in a large bowl
- Process almonds until crushed and very fine and then add to the large bowl
- Pour over the chocolate mixture and combine all ingredients.
- Tear a large piece of foil and sprinkle around 1/3 – ½ cup coconut in the center evenly. Scoop the mixture over the coconut in the foil and mould into a long log form while scattering coconut over the top. Roll the log slowly in the foil a few times ensuring coconut has covered the entire outside of the dessert and fold foil tightly and set in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- To serve, remove from freezer and place in fridge for 20 minutes. Cut as little or as thick slices as you like and store in fridge. Enjoy!