Ah, it’s that time of year again… boozy 3-course dinners followed by rich desserts and an even bigger hang over the next day. It’s difficult to stay on track during the silly season, so I’ve created weekly delicious, healthy treats for the lead up to Christmas – this yummy Christmas Fruit Slice the first of the bunch.
For anyone who eats a little too much fruit cake/fruit slice during the month of December, this recipe is for you! The original version of this recipe is by my Mother, and I have substituted the sugars and butter with healthier alternatives and it tastes just as addictive. Display on a gorgeous Christmas dessert platter for friends or store in the pantry for when you’re feeling like a little treat – enjoy!
1 kg mixed fruit (I used sultanas & currants)
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
2 cups wholegrain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unprocessed bran
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 cup organic dark chocolate chips
- Soak mixed fruit in orange juice overnight
- Preheat oven to 120°C and line baking pan with baking paper
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until combined
- Pop in the oven for 1.5 hours and let cool before slicing
- Optional: melt dark chocolate and pour over the slice