Summer is finally here, and so is Christmas! I wanted to make something fresh and fruity with a bit of festive spirit – and I think my Raspberry, Banana and Coconut cake is perfect. I had a few old bananas that needed to be used (or thrown out!) so I added them to this cake with some delicious raspberries and coconut and the combination is a winner!
Technically this dessert isn’t just for Christmas as bananas are available during the colder months and you can use fresh or frozen raspberries. This cake was so yummy that it was gone so quickly – I’ve almost forgotten what it tasted like! Just another excuse to make it again, I guess 🙂
Happy baking and Merry Christmas!
2 bananas, mashed
2 cups frozen (or fresh) raspberries
2/3 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra for decoration
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
1 2/3 cup spelt flour (or flour of choice)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup almond milk
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients (except coconut) in a large bowl: flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mix rice malt syrup, coconut oil and vanilla. Add one egg at a time to the mixture and beat lightly until all three are combined into the liquid mixture.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the liquid mixture, almond milk, coconut, raspberries and bananas. Fold lightly until just combined and then pour into loaf tin. Sprinkle coconut on top. Place in the oven for 50 minutes or until cake is brown (if you place a skewer down the middle of the cake it should come out clean – that’s how you’ll know it’s ready!)
- Let cool and enjoy with your family and friends – or all for yourself 😉