For anyone who is following me on Instagram you would know that this was ‘accidental’ gelato. This gelato was actually meant to be nougat. When I was ready to slice the ‘nougat’ my boyfriend looked at it and said ‘that’s going to melt.’ He was right. And when he dug in his teaspoon to taste it, I gave it one look and one taste to know that this recipe was destined to be gelato.
After visiting the Italian Food and Wine Festival a few weeks ago, I have been even more obsessed with Italian desserts. I was so happy when I created this ‘accidental’ gelato because it tastes so much like the authentic Italian gelato from a well-known Italian brand. It is definitely a must-try – even in winter! Buon apetite xx
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
2 tbls cacao butter
2 egg whites
1/3 cup cacao powder
4 tbls water
150g thinly sliced almonds
- In a saucepan, heat rice malt syrup and cacao butter until dissolved. Continue to stir with a wooden spoon and remove saucepan from heat.
- In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff and fold into rice malt syrup and cacao butter mixture
- In a separate bowl combine water and cacao powder to make a smooth paste
- Fold cacao mixture, almonds and eggs through the rice malt syrup and cacao butter mixture until well combined
- Pour into a plastic container (medium size), place in the freezer and let set overnight.
- Enjoy! x