Polenta porridge?! OK, I know what you’re thinking… but trust me this porridge beats oats any day! So where on earth did I get this idea? Basically a few months ago I hesitantly ordered a polenta and chia porridge at a charming café in Melbourne. I say hesitantly because I was extremely sceptical of my menu decision and knew it could go one of two ways; I would either hate it or love it. And I LOVED it!
Melbourne is slowly easing into winter and what better way to get ready for the chilly season than with a divine breakfast option to warm the soul before you take on a cold winter’s day! Pears are also in season at the moment (yay!) so I poached these with a cinnamon stick to enhance the flavour and truly make your creamy porridge even tastier – yummy!
Polenta and Chia Porridge: Poached pears:
2 cups almond milk 1 chopped pear
½ cup polenta 2 cups water
2 tbls chia seeds 1 cinnamon stick
¼ cup maple syrup or rice malt syrup 2 tbls maple syrup or rice malt syrup
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Place water, cinnamon stick and maple syrup in a saucepan on low heat until water is heated.
- Chop the pear in halves and continue cutting each half piece of pear in half. Pop in the saucepan and cover for 15-25 minutes on low heat while you prepare the porridge.
- In a separate saucepan, add milk and place on low heat until nearly boiled (small bubbles will appear on the surface).
- Add polenta and chia seeds and stir for 5 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Add rest of porridge ingredients and stir through. Pour porridge into bowls and drain the pears and place on top. Decorate with a cinnamon stick and enjoy!