If you’re still deciding what to bake your Mother for Mother’s Day – this recipe is a real treat. A new favourite (I say that about every recipe – I know!) coconut and raspberries have always been a winning combination and this healthy recipe showcases the two together beautifully.
I love baking pretty desserts for a special occasion, however no day is more worthy of this creation than another and it is perfectly acceptable to make this cake on any ordinary afternoon. It is also perfectly acceptable to gobble this creation after dinner, for lunch or morning breaky. Why? Because it’s healthy! No guilt needed when consuming this cake – yay!
Cake: Filling & icing:
½ cup coconut oil 1 cup cashews
3/4 cup rice malt syrup 2 tbls coconut oil
2 eggs 11 dates
6 dates ½ cup rice malt syrup
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 cup shredded coconut
3 tsp baking powder ¾ cup water
1 tsp vanilla bean paste ¼ cup almond milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup desiccated coconut
2/3 cup almond milk
150g frozen raspberries
- Place oven on 180°C and spray a circular cake tin with baking spray and cover with baking paper.
- In a mixer or large bowl add melted coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla and mix well.
- Place all dry ingredients including coconut in mixer and combine well while adding milk and eggs separately.
- In a small saucepan add dates with around ¼ cup of water and place on low heat while mashing dates with a potato masher or spoon. When water turns into a thick date liquid add to mixture and stir through.
- Fold through raspberries very slowly with a spatula. If you mix these with the mixer it will crush the raspberries.
- Place in oven for around 30-40 minutes and then let cool while you prepare the filling.
For filling and icing:
- In a blender, add all ingredients until a smooth and creamy texture is formed, this may take a few minutes. Feel free to add more water/milk if you prefer a thinner cream.
- Cut the cake in half and smear the filling over the bottom half of the cake. Cover the cream with fresh raspberries and pop the second half on top.
- With a spatula, cover the top of the cake with cream and sprinkle shredded coconut over for decoration and it is ready to be served – enjoy!