Today at work my lovely friend introduced me to sweet and salty popcorn (which is ah-mazing of course), and I had this wonderful thought of creating popcorn clusters mixed with caramel… because why not?! They are definitely not the prettiest of desserts; but they taste divine. Just a warning – these are extremely addictive! But a lot better for you than store-bought sugar coated popcorn!
1/3 cup kernels
2 Tbls rice malt syrup or maple syrup
1 Tbls almond spread
1 Tbls coconut oil
1/4 cup water
1 Tbls honey (optional)
- Pop kernels in either popcorn machine or pot. If using pot, place kernels inside and put on medium heat with the lid on. Let sit for a couple minutes until popping sound stops and then place in large bowl.
- In a separate pot, place on low heat and add coconut oil, water, almond spread and dates and stir. While dates are heating up, crush with a spoon until fine and then pour mixture over popcorn. Mix through with your hands until all popcorn is covered in caramel.
- Add rice malt syrup and mix with hands. Feel free to add some honey through to make extra sticky!
- Spray cupcake pan with coconut oil or baking spray and scoop around 2 tablespoons of mixture for 1/3 cup capacity.
- Place in freezer for around 3 hours and then they are ready to be devoured! Mmmm…