Who knew apple and berries would be such a delicious combination? Definitely not me. On Saturday (aka my baking day) I had so many different ideas of what to bake and couldn’t decide so I left it up to my mum… after all, it was Mother’s Day the next day. She went through decade-old magazine cut-outs of sweet (sugary) treats and picked one she wanted me to make clean. It was an apple and berry slice. So I did!
This Clean Apple & Berry Slice is super easy and a perfect treat with a warm cup of tea. I was honestly so impressed by this combination that I can’t wait to see what other flavours I can mix together. It looks like those decade-old magazine cut-outs are coming out more often!
3/4 cup mixed frozen berries
4 heaped tbls melted coconut oil
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
10 pitted dates, soaked and chopped
1 2/3 cup wholewheat or spelt flour (or flour of choice)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup almond milk
2 apples thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C (not fan forced). Line a medium rectangle baking pan with baking paper.
- In an electric mixer pour remaining coconut oil, rice malt syrup, milk and vanilla and mix until creamy. Add one egg at a time to the mixture until combined.
- In a large bowl mix flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Add liquid mixture, berries and dates and fold through softly.
- Pour mixture into baking paper and carefully place an apple slice in the middle of the rectangle. Place one slice next to each other to form a circle and work from the centre in until the slice batter is covered with apple slices.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes. Let cool and serve!