There’s nothing I love more than the smell of summer. It may be the final day of winter here in Melbourne – but I have been waiting eagerly for the warmer season to be upon us (thanks to small teases of sunshine in the city) and wanted to express my excitement with a fruity twist to a delicious little treat.
These gorgeous cupcakes not only provide a double chocolate hit, but also a hint of fresh orange zest to remind you of the sunnier season. I used vegan chocolate chips (available at Coles) throughout the mixture; however dark chocolate chips also work. Decorate with multi-coloured accessories for a true summer treat and enjoy!
2 cups Whole-grain flour or flour of choice
½ cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
3 tbls cacao
1 tbls Natvia
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
¾ cup almond milk
¾ cup rice malt syrup
1 large orange for
¼ cup orange juice
3 tbs orange zest
- Preheat oven to 170°C and place each cupcake baking cup in muffin pan
- In a large bowl mix the flour with baking powder, baking soda, cacao and Natvia.
- Add almond milk and eggs to mixture in alternating batches mixing lightly.
- In a separate bowl add orange zest, orange juice, rice malt syrup and vanilla and combine well before adding to mixture.
- Mix through vegan chocolate chips and pour mixture into each cupcake baking cup with a sprinkle of chocolate chips on top for decoration.