There’s always an excuse for cake. But one with chia seeds, banana and walnuts? Well gee, you could just eat it whole and call it a day. With great nutritional benefits, there’s nothing to feel guilty about when consuming this moist loaf.
Combined with the natural sweetness from bananas, the team of flavours work wonderfully together with crunchy chia seeds mixed through the batter for the ideal ‘banana bread’ substitution.
Chia, Banana and Walnut loaf is not only delicious, but also beautifully presented with banana cream smeared over the surface and walnuts to decorate. Whether you want to create a healthy treat for yourself or impress your friends at a dinner party, this loaf will be sure to excite your palate – enjoy!
2 cups wholemeal flour (or flour of choice)
1 ¼ cup almond milk
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 bananas mashed
½ cup rice malt syrup
½ cup Natvia Sweetener (or an extra ½ cup rice malt syrup)
½ cup chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
½ cup chopped walnuts
Banana cream decoration:
4 tablespoons almond milk
½ cup cashews
Yellow food colouring (optional)
1 tablespoon Natvia Sweetener or rice malt syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a rectangular baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl mix the flour with chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and Natvia.
- Add almond milk and eggs to mixture in alternating batches mixing lightly.
- Add mashed bananas, rice malt syrup and vanilla to mixture and combine well. Mix through walnuts very lightly.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and place in oven for around 40 – 45 minutes and let cool while you prepare banana cream.
- Place all banana cream ingredients except walnuts in blender until a creamy texture is formed and smear over the top of the cake.
- Decorate with walnuts, slice and enjoy!