There’s nothing more delicious than taking the first bite into a warm, sugar-coated jam donut. As your teeth bite into the soft centre, your tongue is delighted with a sweet, berry taste and suddenly the donut becomes a whole lot better.
I mean really, who doesn’t love donuts?! So many of my childhood memories are eating mini cinnamon donuts at Donut King; although I have barely touched them through my adulthood.
The thought of eating a donut that tastes like a donut, has the same texture as a donut, and is much healthier than a donut makes me very excited. There’s two ways you can make these gorgeous creations; you can buy a cake pop maker ($2 from Kmart) which gives them that fluffy round shape, or you can bake them in the oven in a muffin pan – the choice is yours. Either way, you won’t be able to stop eating these, trust me!
2 cups wholemeal flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3/4 cup rice malt syrup
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
For decoration: Natvia Natural Sweetener
1 packet frozen raspberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 190°C if using oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of your ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the liquid into the flour, and mix until just combined well.
- Spoon the batter into your cake top maker or spray a muffin pan and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the jam.
For raspberry jam:
- In a small pot on low heat, add all ingredients and stir through slowly. You may also let simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- When the raspberries have cooked and jam is hot, turn of the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- If the jam is not thick enough you can drain the excess liquid out slowly.
- Spoon the jam into the piping bag and pierce through sides of each donut so the jam is in the centre.
- Roll each donut in Natvia and they’re ready to be served – enjoy!
*Makes 40 cake tops and 12 muffins