It didn’t take me long to get into the Valentine’s Day spirit with this cute cake for two. With only less than two weeks away, it’s definitely not too early to start thinking about what you’re going to surprise your loved one with. Perhaps it’s your significant other or your best friend, whoever your 2015 Valentine is, this cake was created to be enjoyed with that someone special.
Rich in decadent cacao, and sweetened with natural berries, this gorgeous cake will be a true treat in itself – and a pretty one at that. Small organic chocolate chips are mixed through the batter and work wonderfully against the soft, cloudy coconut cream found in the middle and top layer of the cake.Feel the lurve x
2 cups wholegrain flour (or flour of choice)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cacao powder
2 tsp vanilla bean essence
1/2 cup cacao butter (melted)
2 tbls coconut oil (melted)
3/4 cup rice malt syrup
1 cup almond milk
Organic dark chocolate chips
1 cup organic coconut cream
3 tbls rice malt syrup
Mixed berries to decorate and fill in middle of cake
*Place coconut cream in fridge overnight before baking this cake
For chocolate cake:
- Preheat oven to 180°C and spray two small circular pans with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients (excluding dark chocolate) and mix well
- In a separate bowl, melt coconut oil and add melted cacao butter, vanilla, almond milk and rice malt syrup and whisk together
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and combine well
- Add dark chocolate chips into the cake mixture along and stir through lightly, pour the mixture evenly into both pans (there will be left over mixture so make a few cupcakes while you’re at it!) and pop in the oven for 30 minutes (20 for extra cupcakes).
- Cut the tops of the cake off so there is a flat surface on both sides and let cool
For coconut cream:
- Place very chilled coconut cream in an electric mixer with rice malt syrup until it looks like cream – set in fridge for extra thickness
- When ready, add on top of one cake, place mixed berries in the middle and pop the other flat cake on top. Then decorate with extra coconut cream on top and berries – enjoy! 🙂
Leave a reply →
Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse for a pretty cake!!