2 cups wholemeal or spelt flour (plus one extra cup)
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g dark chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 190C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl mix rice malt syrup, coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla until combined.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and fold through the liquid mixture. It should be a doughy texture. If it is still sticky to touch and wet, add small flour increments until a cookie dough texture is formed.
5. Roll out the dough to around 1cm thickness. Use a circle cookie cutter to cut the cookie shape and place on the baking tray. Prick all cookies lightly with the tip of a fork – this will help give the same texture as a real digestive biscuit!
6. Place biscuits in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes or until browned. Remove and let cool.
7. Melt dark chocolate and drizzle a thin layer over each cookie. Let sit for 30 minutes and enjoy!